Saturday, March 5, 2011

Chael Sonnen is at it again




 So, here's the back story:

Leading up to UFC 127, Jorge Rivera made a number of HILARIOUS videos that were meant to get under the skin of Micheal Bisping (said videos are on a previous article.  I highly recommend you check them out.)

Although Bisping claimed that the videos would have no affect on his mindset, he was suitably inflamed at the weigh ins. Bisping got in Rivera's face and even called him a "faggot."  All of this took place on the UFC's dime, as well as being in front of a live crowd and broadcast over the internet.

During the bought, Bisping delivered an obviously intentional (and illegal) knee to the head of a downed Rivera.  At the cessation of the fight, Bisping went to Rivera's corner, hurled insults, then proceeded to spit on the cornermen.  After which, he approached the still dazed Rivera, demanded an apology, then told him to "Go home, Loser."

The fallout has been great, and his behavior has prompted UFC fighters Demian Maia and Vitor Belfort to call Bisping out.  But it also caught the attention of the greatest MMA smack talker of all time:

Chael Sonnen, that kooky little bastard.



Now, Sonnen has had his own rocky road recently.  He was suspended from the UFC after testing positive for PED's.  He then revealed that he suffered from hypogonadism, and was taking doctor prescribed hormone replacement therapy.  Just as the MMA community appeared ready to accept this, it was revealed that Sonnen had copped a plea deal to testify against the real estate company that he worked for regarding embezzled money that they (and he) had stolen.

Along with a 6 month suspension and 2,500 dollar fine, the UFC froze his contract.

Not only does he have weak balls, but he is now unemployed (in both lines of work.)  His future looked bleak, but there might be a light at the end of the tunnel.  After Bisping's antics at UFC 127, Chael had this to say during an interview with FightersOnly:

“I did see Michael Bisping’s fight, and I was very disappointed in his behaviour. Spitting on Jorge Riviera’s cornermen brought disgrace to himself, to the sport, and to all fighters, me included. That’s why, first and foremost, Michael Bisping owes ME an apology,” Sonnen said.

“As someone with much more experience than him, at a much higher level of competition, I am his superior and his behavior warrants an apology to me. Now you might say that’s a bit of abstract reasoning… but there’s another reason he better apologize to me first, and it has to do with his own self-interest.

“I happen to know, from one of my very highly-placed sources at the UFC, that Michael Bisping’s ‘goodwill account’ is seriously overdrawn with the company. He’s on very thin ice wearing really sharp skates, if you know what I mean. So, there are only TWO possible outcomes for him: He can fight ME, or he can get released.

“He needs to fight me to keep his job. But…and this is a big but…I don’t HAVE to fight Michael Bisping to keep MY job. If I decide not to fight him, they’ll set me up with some other contender I can ridicule, then pound into fine powder. But Bisping’s got me, or he’s GONE. I hold the “whip hand” in this deal; so if he wants to feed his family without going on the ‘dole’, he better apologize.

“Once he agrees to do that, I’ll decide what form his apology should take. I may want a singing apology. I may want him to choreograph and perform a little “apology dance”. I may make him kiss my ring like I’m the Pope, or kneel before me like I’m the King and he’s being knighted. I’m not sure what I’ll decide on… but he does need to apologize."


Say what you will about Sonnen, but he is a very intelligent individual.  He, as the smack talk king, has damn near guaranteed himself a bout.  Leading up to the Silva fight, Sonnen was non stop in the verbal barrage.  It appears that he is looking to do the same thing again.  If he can do to Anderson Silva [what he did], do you think Count Pillowfists stands a chance?

I don't know how you pick who to root for in a battle of heel against heel, but Chael's recent interview has convinced me of one thing:

Fuck, yeah! Chael, you have completely redeemed yourself.





No comments:

Post a Comment